Frequently Asked Questions: MPP in Global Affairs at Yale’s Jackson School of Global Affairs
Jackson's MPP in Global Affairs Degree
Stephen Roach, Senior Fellow at Yale University’s Jackson School of Global Affairs - Article
Below are some of the questions potential scholars ask about the Association:
- 1. What type of work is considered as public
The Association does not have a definition as to what public service is. Public service can be carried out in many different ways. The Association encourages candidates to be innovative and provide
public service in his or her own way.
- 2. How are Kwok Scholars selected?
Kwok Scholarships are need based, candidates need to justify their financial circumstances that they should be awarded Kwok
Scholarships. Kwok Scholarships are also merit based. The Association looks for candidates who are committed to improve the lives of others and have a vision to serve the community with his or her field of expertise.
Value of a Kwok Scholarship:
- 3. What costs does a Yale Kwok Scholarship cover?
Yale Kwok Scholarships are full funding scholarships. It covers university tuition fees, a stipend for living expenses and one return economy airfare.
- 4. What does a Yale Kwok Scholarship stipend cover?
Stipends are determined based on the living costs recommended by Yale University. Stipend covers food, accommodation, personal items, social activities and study costs.
- 5. Can I apply for a Kwok Scholarship to study for
No, a PhD is not a programme the Association supports.
- 6. Can I apply for a Kwok Scholarship to study at a
university other than the University of Oxford and Yale University?
No, Kwok Scholarships are available for the relevant programmes at the University of Oxford and Yale University only.
- 7. I am a second year master degree student, can I
No, it is the Association's policy not to accept an application from a continuing student.
- 8. Am I allowed to accept awards in conjunction
with a Kwok Scholarship?
No, a Kwok Scholarship will not normally be held concurrently with other scholarships.
- 9. I have submitted application forms, CV and
reference letters to Yale University, what additional information and documents would I be required
to provide if I am considered for a Kwok Scholarship?
Financial documentations to justify you should be awarded a Kwok Scholarship. Details of volunteering activities and initiatives.
10. I am currently a student in the US. Does it matter if I apply from the US?
It does not matter where you apply from.
- 11. Who covers the cost of attending the
Candidates are expected to cover the full costs of attending the interview, including travelling and accommodation, where applicable.
- 12. What documents do I need to take with me to my
- 13.What is the dress code of the
- 14. What should I expect of the
You will be individually interviewed by our Selection Committee comprised of 3 to 4 interviewers.
- 15. What questions will I be asked at the
Some of the information you have provided will be discussed. The interviewers will ask questions to enable you to fully explain your motivation and inspiration to take the programme. Your career
goal and intention to serve the community will also be discussed.
- 16. Any tips for preparing for the interview?
You may wish to be more familiar with the Kwok Scholarships by checking out our website and social media.
- 17. My university is asking me to pay a deposit,
what should I do?
If you have been offered a Kwok Scholarship, you can provide your Kwok Scholarship offer letter to the university and ask for a waiver.
- 18. Who pays for my accommodation?
Kwok Scholars are responsible for finding and paying their accommodation. Your stipend covers the accommodation costs, you
can pay your accommodation out of your stipend.