Frequently Asked Questions: M.A. in Global Affairs at Yale’s Jackson Institute for Global Affairs
Jackson's Master of Arts Degree
Jackson Institute for Global Affairs at Yale University: Master’s Program in Global Affairs
Professor Stephen Roach, Senior Fellow at Yale University’s Jackson Institute for Global Affairs - Article
Below are some of the questions potential scholars ask about the Association:
- 1. What type of work is considered as public service?
The Association does not have a definition as to what public service is. Public service can be carried out in many different ways. The Association encourages candidates to be innovative and provide public service in his or her own way.
- 2. How are Kwok Scholars selected?
Kwok Scholarships are need based, candidates need to justify their financial circumstances that they should be awarded Kwok Scholarships. Kwok Scholarships are also merit based. The Association looks for candidates who are committed to improve the lives of others and have a vision to serve the community with his or her field of expertise.
Value of a Kwok Scholarship:
- 3. What costs does a Yale Kwok Scholarship cover?
Yale Kwok Scholarships are full funding scholarships. It covers university tuition fees, a stipend for living expenses and one return economy airfare.
- 4. What does a Yale Kwok Scholarship stipend cover?
Stipends are determined based on the living costs recommended by Yale University. Stipend covers food, accommodation, personal items, social activities and study costs.
- 5. Can I apply for a Kwok Scholarship to study for a PhD?
No, a PhD is not a programme the Association supports.
- 6. Can I apply for a Kwok Scholarship to study at a university other than the University of Oxford and Yale University?
No, Kwok Scholarships are available for the relevant programmes at the University of Oxford and Yale University only.
- 7. I am a second year master degree student, can I apply?
No, it is the Association's policy not to accept an application from a continuing student.
- 8. Am I allowed to accept awards in conjunction with a Kwok Scholarship?
No, a Kwok Scholarship will not normally be held concurrently with other scholarships.
- 9. I have submitted application forms, CV and reference letters to Yale University, what additional information and documents would I be required to provide if I am considered for a Kwok Scholarship?
Financial documentations to justify you should be awarded a Kwok Scholarship. Records of public services and community activities.
- 10. Who covers the cost of attending the interview?
Candidates are expected to cover the full costs of attending the interview, including travelling and accommodation, where applicable.
- 11. What documents do I need to take with me to my interview?
- 12.What is the dress code of the interview?
- 13. What should I expect of the interview?
You will be individually interviewed by our Selection Committee comprised of 3 to 4 interviewers.
- 14. What questions will I be asked at the interview?
Some of the information you have provided will be discussed. The interviewers will ask questions to enable you to fully explain your motivation and inspiration to take the programme. Your career goal and intention to serve the community will also be discussed.
- 15. If my interview is conducted through Skype, will I be disadvantaged?
No, interview by Skype will not give you disadvantages.
- 16. My university is asking me to pay a deposit, what should I do?
If you have been offered a Kwok Scholarship, you can provide your Kwok Scholarship offer letter to the university and ask for a waiver.
- 17. Who pays for my accommodation?
Kwok Scholars are responsible for finding and paying their accommodation. Your stipend covers the accommodation costs, you can pay your accommodation out of your stipend.