FAQs Oxford Undergraduate

Frequently Asked Questions: Undergraduate study at the University of Oxford

Related Links
Undergraduate studies at the University of Oxford
Philosophy, Politics and Economics at the University of Oxford

Below are some of the questions potential scholars ask about the Association:

  • 1. What type of work is considered as public service?
    The Association does not have a definition as to what public service is. Public service can be carried out in many different ways. The Association encourages candidates to be innovative and provide public service in his or her own way.
  • 2. How are Kwok Scholars selected?
    Kwok Scholarships are need based, candidates need to justify their financial circumstances that they should be awarded Kwok Scholarships. Kwok Scholarships are also merit based. The Association looks for candidates who are committed to public service and have the intention to return to Hong Kong and/or China to fulfil that commitment.

Value of a Kwok Scholarship:
  • 3. What costs does an Oxford Kwok Scholarship cover?
    Kwok Scholarships are full funding scholarships. It covers university tuition fees, college fees and a maintenance grant for living expenses.
  • 4. What does a Kwok Scholarship maintenance grant cover?
    Maintenance grants are determined based on the living costs recommended by the university. It covers food, accommodation, personal items, social activities and study costs.

  • 5. I already have an undergraduate degree, am I eligible to apply for a Kwok Scholarship?
    Yes, you can apply for a Kwok Scholarship for a second undergraduate programme.
  • 6. Can I apply for a Kwok Scholarship to study at a university other than the University of Oxford and Yale University?
    No, Kwok Scholarships are available for the relevant programmes at the University of Oxford and Yale University only.
  • 7. Can I apply for a Kwok Scholarship to study an undergraduate programme other than Philosophy, Politics and Economics?
    Yes, you can apply for a Kwok Scholarship to study an undergraduate programme other than Philosophy, Politics and Economics, as long as it is public service related.

  • 8. Am I allowed to accept awards in conjunction with a Kwok Scholarship?
    No, a Kwok Scholarship will not normally be held concurrently with other scholarships.

  • 9. Do I need to translate my university transcripts, which are in Chinese, before I submit them?
    No, you do not need to translate your university transcripts.

  • 10. Who covers the cost of attending the interview?
    Candidates are expected to cover the full costs of attending the interview, including travelling and accommodation, where applicable.
  • 11. What documents do I need to take with me to my interview?
    Your CV.
  • 12.What is the dress code of the interview?
    Business casual.
  • 13. What should I expect of the interview?
    You will be individually interviewed by our Selection Committee comprised of 3 to 4 interviewers.
  • 14. What questions will I be asked at the interview?
    Some of the information you have provided will be discussed. The interviewers will ask questions to enable you to fully explain your motivation and inspiration to take the programme. Your career goal and intention to serve Hong Kong and/or China will also be discussed.
  • 15. If my interview is conducted through Skype, will I be disadvantaged?
    No, interview by Skype will not give you disadvantages.

  • 16. My university is asking me to pay a deposit, what should I do?
    If you have been offered a Kwok Scholarship, you can provide your Kwok Scholarship offer letter to the university and ask for a waiver.

  • 17. What should I consider when indicating a preference for a college?
    You do not need to indicate a preference for a college. But if you do, provided that the college offers the relevant programme, you should consider the location, commute, costs, clubs and societies, as they vary among colleges. Some colleges require you to live out for one year during your study.

  • 18. Who pays for my accommodation?
    Kwok Scholars are responsible for finding and paying their accommodation. Maintenance grant covers accommodation costs, you can pay your accommodation out of your maintenance grant.
  • 19. My college is asking me to live out, can you help?
    You are responsible for finding your accommodation. The Association recommends you to view the property before paying for it.